Saturday, May 16, 2015

Beginning in Berlin

A creatively colored Trabi world car passing along what is left of the Berlin Wall
     The past two days in Berlin have been nothing short of blissful and beautiful. First, be sure to check out my video of the last two days I spent preparing for this trip. 
     In all honesty, I adore everything about this city and it only took two days! The free flowing environment easily draws you in along with the fascinating history. On our first adventure, we explored the Documentation Center, which was mostly about ancient Berlin and the effects of the Berlin Wall. If you haven't already heard, the Berlin Wall is one of the most monumental  landmarks in Berlin. The wall was a significant barrier between East and West Berlin and only a few miles of it remain in the city today. After listening to a good amount of history, I could say I have a new respect for the wall and what it stands for. Shortly after, we went for a walk and decided to stop for some ice-cream. I, along with a Berlin buddy, shared a schoko (chocolate) flavored ice-cream cup. It was well-desired after having a long day/flight and it hit the spot as suspected. The next day's adventure was a bike tour that lasted nearly more than 4 hours and the ride was roughly around 8 miles long. Before going on this trip, I was dreading this bike ride, but surprisingly I enjoyed every second of it. I was filled with enthusiasm and astonishment throughout the entire thing. There could not have been a more perfect way to capture the city of Berlin than through the bike tour. A kiss from the sun brushed my skin softly as the wind blew just enough to cool my tresses. Paradise was radiant within every left and right glance. Beautiful is an understatement. We stopped for some German food and it was actually pretty good. I saw a guy walk past me with a big plate and I was like, "I want whatever he has". The dish was a Schawarma-falafel with halloumi and chicken. I couldn't finish my plate nor could I save it for later (leftovers are unusual to ask for in Berlin), but it was definitely worth the euro. 
       Later, we went out to dine at a restaurant down the street from our hotel called MinhQuang. The food was good, but the drink I had was great! It was called "Silly Kiss". I thought it was a cute name, so I thought why not give it a shot. It turned out to be one of the better Mojitos I've had out of very few. Even though I despise the taste of beer, Berlin is a place where beer is drunk as frequently as water. I've tried a few, but I still don't like the taste. Anyhow, we ended our night at a bar jam-packed with people playing ping-pong and chatting it up over some drinks. With the past two days going so well, I can't wait to see what the rest of the week brings. 


Here are a few clips and pics:



Biking along the Berlin Wall

Dining in at MinhQuang
A #12 Schwarama-falafel with halloumi and chicken from Rissani  
Two guys conversing over a beer in what used to be the Berlin airport
Remains of The Berlin Wall painted with massive graffiti
A large building located in East Germany

No comments: