Monday, May 25, 2015

The WYLD Dinner Cruise

My first week in Berlin has already come to an end. I can't believe my time here is flying by so quickly. but I am still enjoying every minute of it. The previous week was filled with events and not alot of free time, but this week will be the opposite. We started on Tuesday the 19th, by visiting AFP photographer John MacDougall at his home. He showed us lots of his favorite photographs as well as the advancement of the photography business and how he's adjusting to it. Later on we visited the Berliner Dom which I have stated multiple times, is the prettiest building I've ever laid eyes on. I'll also admit to the Dom being the most fascinating historical building I've ever been inside of.
 It took almost 15 minutes to get from the bottom of the Dom to the top. Though it was a long way up, it was worth every step , because the view was indescribable. The next day was a free day, so of course I did a little shopping around. I ended up buying a lot of cute items including an Adidas shirt/dress and matching shoes, a bathing suit and a pair of sunglasses. In my opinion, the shopping here is better than the U.S., because it is a lot cheaper (a perk to the city being poor). 



 Thursday we had some free time during the day so me and two of the other girls decided to go to the Hackescher Makt which is another local flea market. I ended up getting two hand-wooven bracelets for my younger cousins for 10 euros. I love the markets here because there are so many of them and they all have so many different things to sell. I've seen everything down to hand stitched candle holders. The artistry and architecture here, is incomparable to anything I've seen before.

Later, we went to a musical entitled The WYLD. I had seen numerous advertisement about this event plastered all over the walls and buildings, so my expectations were pretty high. I enjoyed the performance, but I'll admit it didn't meet my expectations. The performances were similar to those I've seen at the circus. I would honestly say the circus was more interesting. One thing that did impress me though, was the stage. The performance took place at the  Friedrichstadt-Palast Berlin which is one of the biggest theatre stages in the world. The stage was indeed huge and it had a bunch of cool features. The one that amazed me the most was the stage rising about 50 feet high with big lava tanks of water with people floating inside of them. 

Friday was a free day so I went to the market again, but I didn't pick up anything. That night was one I will never forget because it was the first time I ever partied until the sun came up. I went to the club at 2am and didn't leave until 5am. The sun was out and I was beyond tired. 

Saturday, was another insightful day of history, but on a lighter note- with food. We took a two course dinner cruise through the Spree River. It was nice and so was the food. I had room for more, but it was satisfying-I guess. 

Within my few days left there is still more to come. I'm going to the Carnival of cultures, visiting the Reichstag building, and finally eating at the TV Tower. All of them should be fun, but I'm a little down that it'll all be over soon. Well let me get back to enjoying my time. 



Catch you later!



Here are a few clips and pics:











No comments: