Tuesday, May 19, 2015

City tour, flea market, and meeting Christoph Niemann

   Saturday, the 16th was the first day of free time and I will admit, I was a little nervous about being out on my own. However, I am proud to say I went exactly where I intended and I DID NOT get lost. I did have a partner with me, but it still counts (I don't go anywhere alone.
My mom would kill me.) I ended up getting a plug adapter and finding someone to interview for my project. I also stopped by a little store called Promod and picked up a black leather jacket and a cute pair of pastel orange colored open-toed sandals with a low heel.
I know this combination sounds weird, but the jacket is for here in Berlin and the sandals are for back home. If you're wondering abut the weather here, its cold. There are a few days where the sun wants to be nice, but the wind is always naughty. My lips and skin always feel chapped and dry no matter how many outrageous amounts of chapstick and lotion I apply. I don't think there anything else I can do to change this over the next few days so I'll be trying my best to stay as moisturized as I possibly can. 


   Sunday and Monday were back to scheduled programming. On Sunday we took a city tour. First, the tour was great. We learned a lot of history, were able to see other interesting parts of the city, and our tour guide guy was really cool (he will be featured in my selfie album coming soon). We saw the Brandenburg Gate, Memorial to murdered Jews of Europe, the place where books would have been stored, but instead were burned by the Nazis, Checkpoint Charlie....oh, and the hotel where Michael Jackson dangled his son, Blanket over the balcony.
Elevator inside of the Lafayette mall
The only problem I had with the walk was the timing. It was a three to four hour walk. This shouldn't have surprised me though. It's Berlin! Everyone walks everywhere. Later, we went to a really cool flea market and grabbed some lunch from there. I was able to buy a few nice things, but it started to rain so we decided to leave. I do plan on going back for family souvenirs though.  Monday was a more reserved day. We didn't have any plans for the morning/afternoon so a group of the other girls and I, decided to go to the mall. I ended up purchasing some very comfortable and stylish Birkenstock shoes. I've been seeing them everywhere and couldn't wait to get my hands on them AND THEY WERE CHEAPER. Let's just say that made my day.
Christoph Niemann explaining one of his articles
I also bought a nice floral, floor-length dress from H&M. I would have done more shopping if we didn't have an appointment with big time illustrator Christoph Niemann, but it could defiantly be put on hold. Niemann is an illustrator, author, and artist whose work has been featured on the cover of The New York Times Magazine along with others. He gave our group some good tips about thinking abstractly while honing authenticity. After leaving Niemann's studio we ate dinner at Burritos Delores. I had a quesadilla with tomato salsa and a soft drink not written in English. Both of them were good and topped of the tiring day so well. Anyhow, that's all for now. Be back soon!

Here are a few clips and pics:

   
Catching the U-bahn

Chalk art 


Walking through the flea market


Berlin Cathedral a.k.a Berliner Dom

Bebelplatz- Nazi book burning 

Memorial for the murdered Jews in Europe

Apple Strudel and hot chocolate from a cafe' near the memorial

Post Nazi Mural 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Fucking awesome!! No more selfies for you till tomorrow?? Hang in there champ (: